I’ve gotten loads of comments, questions, thought bubbles, etc. in response to my crusade to rename the non-profit sector the iSector.
Here’s what people said:
- Yes, we want to do away with referring to ourselves in the negative, particularly after learning that ‘non-profit’ means ‘non-progress’. (Ugh.)
- Yes, we agree with the key attributes, distinguishing characteristics and unique differentiators as captured in the Five Is. Some could do without intrepid, but overall, we’re good.
- Yes, we’re ready to find something new.
- No, I can’t see myself saying/writing iSector.
Even though I’m the iSector instigator, I concur with this last point. It feels a bit trendy, a tidge flashy, a little too Apple-esque.
So let’s name this thing together!
Below is a list of options that have been floated as alternatives to ‘non-profit’.
- For Cause (shout out to @Susan_Chavez on this one)
- For Mission
- Charitable Sector
- Community Benefit Sector (shout out to @HildyGottlieb on this one)
- Voluntary Sector
- Third Sector (brought to us by our friends in the U.K.)
- Progress Sector (I’m personally kinda liking this one right now…)
- Social Good Sector
- Social Benefit Sector
- Social Impact Sector
Which do you like and why? Other suggestions?